Sunday, January 3, 2010

Anafora - December 29

I didn't get much sleep last night since 4 or 5 mosquitos trapped inside my net dive-bombed me all night. Still, I was up at 6 am to attend the full morning mass which is 2 hours long and celebrated every morning here at Anafora, and is open to all. I had borrowed a copy of the liturgy in Swedish with helpful cartoon pictures to indicate where you are in the service. The service involves a lot of incense, which the book helpfully informed me symbolizes the wishes and prayers going up to God. For the most part, though (and I am sure I will be criticized for saying so), the service seemed the same as the Catholic and Anglican masses I have attended, just longer! The church (in the picture to the right and in a link on Facebook here) doesn't have pews, but luckily hand-loomed rugs that are ubiquitous at Anafora, and prayer stools. You take your shoes off before entering. Some wicker chairs are also available for those who cannot kneel. Hanging from the ceiling at the front of the church is an ostrich egg, which can be found in all Coptic churches. The egg represents new life. The eye in this church, which is not found in other Coptic churches, seemes to symbolize the eye of God watching over the egg. It's powerful imagery.

Unlike the all-night advent service, there wasn't too much standing in the mass. Actually, the periodic standing was welcome after kneeling on the rugs. The women generally sit on the right and the men on the left. Thus, it wasn't hard to notice that, apart from Father Ismael and the deacon, there were no men present. I assume they were already out working on the farm.

After the service I was presented with a piece of the blessed (but not consecrated) communion bread, a welcome treat after a 2-hour mass with no breakfast! At breakfast afterwards, Father Ismael (the priest-in-training), who is my age, asked if he could have his picture taken with me (see picture to the right). I thought this was funny - wasn't I the one who was the tourist? But it was pointed out to me, again, that Anafora is a meeting place for people from different worlds. Father Ismael is from a small town that does not see a lot of tourists. Being at Anafora is as big an experience from him as it is for me!

I was also pleasantly suprised to see many young Copts (in their 20's) who came to Anafora to "retreat" just like me (see picture of me and Hannah to the right)! In talking to them, I discovered a big difference between us retreatants, however: instead of waiting until they are exhausted and in need of a full relaxation experience like many of us Westerners, these young people come to retreats periodically to "top up" their spiritual batteries before they are running on empty. They have such a relaxed and open attitude to spirituality, it is positively inspiring.

No comments: